Email Signup | Contact Us | Sitemap


Join Our Email List

*All fields are required.

Hawaii's legal requirements for marriage

Every destination has different legal requirements for marriage. Our Romantic Travel Experts have gathered the State of Hawaii's legal requirements for those brides who are considering a destination wedding in Hawaii.

Please be sure to read all of the information and if you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-800-331-1366.

The legal age to marry is 18 years for males and females. However, with the written consent of both parents, legal guardian or family court, the male or female may be married at 16 or 17. Males and females at age 15 may marry with the written consent of both parents or legal guardian and the written approval of the judge of family court. The parents or guardian do not have to reside in the state. Consent forms may be obtained from the marriage license agent. Marriage is defined as a union of one male and one female. Same-sex couples are denied licensing by Hawaii. Both parties to the marriage (one male, one female) must appear personally before the license agent. Proxies are not allowed. Applications may NOT be mailed in to the agent or the minister.

Proof of age:
A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 and under. For anyone 19 and over, proof of age may be requested in the form of a Passport, valid photo I.D. or U.S. driver's license.

Blood relationship:
Cousins may marry, but a blood relationship between the prospective bride and bridegroom cannot be closer than first cousins. For example, uncle-neice, half-brother-sister may not marry.

Residency, citizenship and waiting period requirements:
None required.

Blood tests:
None required.

None required.

If you want to legally be married, you must obtain a Hawaii Marriage License in person within 30 days of your wedding date from the State Health Department. Marriage licenses from other states cannot be used in Hawaii. All applications are submitted by the couple at the State Health Department or to an authorized licensing agent. To save time, fill it out beforehand and take it with you to the licensing agent. The Hawaii Marriage License Application cannot be accepted by your Licensed Marriage Performer. You MUST present a valid Hawaii Marriage License to your Marriage Performer.

Need Assistance?

Call our Romantic Travel Experts today at

SARA Enterprises Inc., is not responsible for content on external websites.
© Montrose Travel. All rights reserved. 2349 Honolulu Ave., Montrose, CA 91020
CST# California: 1018299-10; Iowa: 763; Nevada: 2003-0393; Washington: 602-341-432